zhannadesigner

Monday, October 26, 2015

Giant Nepenthes Tour, Part 3, Mt Tambuyukon

After visiting the Ranau site, we were a couple of hours behind schedule and arrived at the base
of Mt Tambuyukon (Mongis sub station), where we had lunch and then quickly set off on our ascent at around 12.30pm. Being behind slightly affected our plans as Alastair was hoping to reach the Musang camp at the 10km mark, but due to the difficulty of the first few km's I'm glad that we stopped at the Wulah camp after 6km as I had nothing left in the tank.

The climb to the summit of Mt Tambuyukon is 14km long and is known as one of the hardest mountains to climb in all of Borneo due to the steep up and down sections through valleys and peaks and then the last 4km which is quite steep at an angle of 50-60 degrees all the way to the summit.

As this was my second ever mountain climb, Mt Kinabalu being the first. I found Mt Tambuyukon extremely difficult on some of the steep areas and very slippery at times.

Due to my slower pace than the others, I never quite made it to the summit and stopped around about 1km away to take more photos of N. edwardsiana. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to keep going to the summit, take photos, then descend back to our camp, pack up and descend down another 4-5km to our next camp.

Tough choice, but I'd already seen N. rajah and N. villosa before and really wanted to spend more time photographing and observing N. edwardsiana in the wild, a plant that I've always dreamed of seeing.
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48059

No comments:

Post a Comment